A sure sign of an interesting place to live is contained in a sample of the interesting things people enjoy. LeRoy has a community of people with exceptionally broad interests and a willingness to meet, share and talk about these interests. The clubs and organizations in LeRoy bear witness to this fact.
The History Club
The History Club is one of the oldest organizations in Le Roy. It was organized in 1901. It was at first named the Social Cultural Club. In 1903 it became the History Club. The club was organized by twelve ladies as a study and mutual improvement opportunity. One rule was that there be no discussion of religion or politics. During wartime, the club assisted the Red Cross in rolling bandages and knitting. They, along with the Garden Club, sponsored the Hambrecht Memorial Cabin at Lake Louise State Park, with assistance from the State Historical Society. Sixteen members meet monthly. The yearly calendar carries a specific subject for study.
The American Legion Auxiliary
The American Legion Auxiliary Meighen-Thompson Unit 161, of Le Roy was organized in 1920 at the home of Mrs. F.T. Young. The members gathered for meetings at the Beehive, now the Sorenson Apartments, until receiving a charter on May 27, 1924. Meetings then were held at the Legion Rooms and eventually the Le Roy Municipal building. Forty-eight charter members assisted in caring for the disabled from World War I and for families and children of the veterans.
The auxiliary has continued this work and in promoting
patriotism and love for America. Fifty members are presently enrolled.
Activities include financial support of servicemen clubs, children's
homes, veterans hospitals and support of the Viet Nam Memorial fund. Patriotism
motivates the auxiliary in their Memorial Day programs, decoration of
graves, support of citizenship in school children and tribute to teachers
during National Education Week.
One of the first projects of the organization was the reconstruction of the dam at Lake Louise on the Upper Iowa River in 1925 which had been flooded out in the early 1900's. The town was threatened with loss of water rights if a new dam was not constructed. The project was partially funded by a pageant presented at the dam site. Area residents portrayed the early Indian-Settler skirmishes.
Christmas drawing for money and merchandise, a Community Christmas Tree and street decorations are under club sponsorship. The club was instrumental in the creation of additional rental housing in 1973 and the United Fund in 1975. A major project has been the community auctions, started in 1951.
Western Day activities, in conjunction with the Le Roy Saddle Club,
brought thousands into Le Roy. Parades, a rodeo featuring local entrants,
and a professional rodeo have highlighted the event. The Commercial Club
continues today with a reduced membership. The Commercial Club sponsors "Summerfest" on the third weekend of July. Events include a grand parade, car show, various children's activities, many options for dining, water ball fights, and other activities.
LeRoy Garden Club
In 1917, a group of ladies interested in home care for the sick met at the Herb Lawson home in Beaver Center. This group was formally organized by Miss Swenson, a teacher in District 31, as the Beaver Mothers Club.
The group included members from Mower County and so adopted the name County Line Mother's Club. Not wishing to exclude members who were not mothers, they later changed the name again to County Line Progress Club.
Mrs. Donald McGillivary, Sr. was the leader of a successful project to promote gardening activities. On December 20, 1938, the group adopted a constitution and bylaws similar to those outlined in the Minnesota Horticulturist. Thus the Le Roy Garden Club came into being. The first flower show was held at the J. J, Johnson home.
Upon raising its membership from 18 to 70 in 1939, the club was awarded a bronze cup by the state society. It is now one of the traveling awards presented during the flower show together with five other traveling trophies which have been donated to the club.
In 1952, the club voted to landscape and care for a triangular plot of ground between Highway 56 and the Oak Dale Road, in eastern Le Roy. It still maintains this plot. The club has landscaped the area around the Le Roy Library, and maintains a planter by the Municipal Building on Main Street.
The Hambrecht Memorial Cabin at Lake Louise State Park is a club project. Books of interest to gardeners are presented to the Le Roy Library in memory of deceased members.
The club sponsored the first Farm to Market Days in 1974 and continued until 1977. They assisted with the District Flower Show, "Panorama" from 1962 until 1981.
Monthly meetings include discussion of gardening and houseplant
subjects. The club numbers 24 members.
The first members of the Monday Birthday Club were limited to those living on one particular street in Le Roy. The club extended its membership after an official meeting on February 10, 1947.
Crochet and other handiwork was the main idea of the creation of the Crochet Club in 1912. Potluck suppers including family members were also held several times throughout the year.
The group meets on a monthly basis with a planned type of informative entertainment. There are twelve members and several associate members.
The Christmas Club was organized in June, 1913. Its motto is, "Peace On Earth, Good Will to Men." The club sponsored a Christmas Club for the sick and needy in the community.
At one time they had a Traveling Christmas Tree that was carried by bobsled to different homes of the sick and needy, caroling at the homes of shut-ins and decorating the city tree.
Today, the 12 member group meets monthly for discussions of current events and literary topics. They give financial assistance to area service organizations.
The Social Literary Club was organized in 1904 to improve its members in literary exercises and social activities. There were twelve charter members.
The group joined the Federation of Women's Clubs in 1914, but later withdrew from this organization. The group continues with sixteen active members and three honorary.
Three of the five charter members of the Pleasure Club still reside in the Le Roy area; Mrs. Howard Martz, Mrs. M. P. Morse and Mrs. Walter Beck. This club was organized in 1920 as a social and study group.
The group makes financial donations to worthy causes at Christmas time. It still continues its practice of combining social pleasure and study. The Veterans of Foreign Wars became locally organized in Le Roy in 1982.
The Modern Woodman Acorn Camp was established in 1892. It boasted a membership of 175 before becoming defunct in the 1930's. Recently, the Modern Woodmen Corporation has become more active; sponsoring many non-profit activities in Le Roy.
The Isaak Walton League began its activities in December of 1927. It assisted in acquiring the Mower County Game Refuge areas, stocking of game fish in Lake Louise and feeding of game during winter stress times.
The Le Roy Rod and Gun Club has continued these works. A meeting building and trap shooting area is owned and operated by the group east of Le Roy.
The Le Roy Senior Citizens Club was organized in 1974. Following a dinner meeting, the group voted to meet twice monthly for dinner and a program. In addition, they now serve coffee daily at the Senior Citizens Center. The Senior Citizens raise funds through dues, a yearly soup supper and from bequests/donations. Recently funds were used to buy a new stove for the Senior Citizen Center, have the center painted, as well as giving contributions to organizations such as the firemen, ambulance, etc.
Organizers were Rev. Martin Thompson, Rev. Don Jernigan, Rev. Don Lundborg, M. W. Anderson, Einer Jacobson, Mrs. Hoon and Mrs. Laura Johnson. First program director for the group was Mrs. Leah Boulet.