LeRoy boasts five churches including two non-denominational, one Evangelical Lutheran, one Presbyterian (USA), and one Catholic. Click on each church for a map and a listing of their respective church services.
First Presbyterian Church
705 N Broadway Le Roy, MN 55951 (map)
Reverend Gary Titusdahl, Interim Pastor
Summer Sunday Service Times
(Memorial Day through Labor Day)
No Sunday School
9:30 a.m. Worship
Winter Sunday Service Times
(Labor Day through Memorial Day)
10:00 AM - Worship & Sunday School
The hall above the Allen Hardware Store in the new village of LeRoy was the first home of the First Presbyterian Church with the Rev. A.C. Ruliffson as pastor.
The Presbyterian and Methodist faiths worshipped together until the 1870's, when the first Presbyterian church was erected. It was dedicated in 1871. In 1895; an addition, including Sunday school rooms, was added and the manse built.
The "Mite Society," an early forerunner of the Ladies Guild, was organized at this time. Their first project was the digging of the basement under the church in 1910. This group is presently known as the Presbyterian Women's Association.
In 1919 the Presbyterian and Baptist Churches attemped a merger. This project was dissolved after a trial period.
A building committee was organized in 1953 and the present structure was dedicated in 1960 with membership at 286. The manse was built in 1962 on the original church ground.
Twenty-eight ministers and students have
served the Presbyterian Church.
St. Patrick's Catholic Church
436 W Main St. Le Roy, MN 55951 (map)
Fr. Marreddy Pothireddy, Pastor
St. Patrick's Catholic Church is part of a Tri-Parish of churches including St. Finbarr in Grand Meadow and St. Ignatius in Spring Valley. Mass times for St. Patrick's is 5:00 PM on Saturday from July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2014, and 8:30 AM on Sunday from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015. Mass times for St. Finbarr is 8:30 AM on Sunday from July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2014, and 5:00 PM on Saturday from July 1, 2014, through December 31, 2015. Mass time for St. Ignatius is 10:30 AM on Sunday all during the year.
The first Mass in LeRoy was celebrated in "Old Town" at the home of John Meigs by Father John McDermott. The congregation followed the town to its new location and held their services at the home of Patrick Ryan. In 1878 a frame chruch was built in southern LeRoy , with Father Bernard Bauman serving as pastor.
A new stone building was erected on Highway 56 in 1955. The building cost $40,000 with most of the work done by parish members. Much of the interior was furnished by a donation from former LeRoy resident Thomas Pangborn.
From its beginnings the church was a "missionary church" having no priest in residence. Mass was celebrated on a regular basis by an area priest. The "Missionary Priest" program ended in 1956 when Father Elmer Kellen, the first resident priest moved into a frame house next to the new church. A stone rectory was built on this spot in 1963. The interior of the church and the fellowship hall were remodeled, with the work being completed in 1980.
The Altar society of St. Patrick's was organized shortly after the completion of the first church. This group of women has been responsible for many fund raising activites. Meetings and dinners were held in the Odd Fellows Hall in LeRoy in the early days. The annual Mulligan stew was first begun in 1955 and is a continuing springtime event. The ladies also sponsor food and clothing drives for the needy in America and around the world.
LeRoy Evangelical Lutheran Church
120 W Luella St. Le Roy, MN 55951 (map)
(507) 324-5283 (507) 324-5721
LeRoy Lutheran and Trinity Lutheran in Ostrander have combined into a parish. Service times are 10:30 AM on Sunday at LeRoy and 8:30 AM on Sunday at Ostrander beginning September 15, 2013. The two churches switch service times every six months. Sunday School is at 9:15 AM at LeRoy and at 9:30 AM at Ostrander from the Sunday following Labor Day through the Sunday prior to Memorial Day.
The LeRoy Lutheran Church was the first such congregation in the LeRoy territory. It was organized on March 5th, 1867. It's first pastor, Rev.Trev Tobias Larson, arrived in 1868.
In 1870, the congregation purchased the Old Stone School in "Old Town" and used it for 19 years. The question of where to locate a new church caused a rift in the congregation and the church split in 1890. The LeRoy congregation build and dedicated its church within the city limits in 1894. The West Lutherns built 5 miles to the west of LeRoy in 1891.
The Ladies Aid was formed in the spring of 1888. Through their efforts they installed a church bell in 1911.
The two churches were reunited in 1920 under the pastorship of Rev Olaf Linn, but continued in separate buildings. On May 29, 1950, the two congregations merged with Rev R. M. Christenson as pastory. The wood structure in Southwest LeRoy was found to be inadequate and a vote to build a new church was carried on February 18, 1952.
The ground breaking for the new building was held on May 1, 1955, the cornerstone laid on August 7th, 1955. First services were held on May 27th, 1956, and the church dedicated June 17, 1956. The Kasota stone building was erected at a cost of $145,000. Over 7,000 hours of labor were donated.
The Women's Mission Federation which met for the first time in 1919, became affiliated with the American Lutheran Church Women in 1960. Present membership is 317.
A ramp and lift made the church more easily accessible to handicapped persons in 1980.
Brian Thiel, Pastor
9:30 a.m., Bible School
10:30 a.m., Worship
7 p.m., Midweek Meeting